Hanging in the ‘Burbs of Paris

GardensI wonder if anyone can guess where I went today…  I sure didn’t know it existed until I was there.  It all started with the hopes of a gourmet cheeseburger.  I’m not sure what it is about craving the beef sandwich, because I rarely order one at home.  For some reason, I appreciate the twist on an American favorite here.

Le Camion Gourmand is “the” food truck of Paris.  The name even evokes a sense of pride.  Surprisingly, they mostly serve the suburbs of Paris.  When a girl wants a burger, she gets her burger.  I viewed their site to see where they would be, and what I could do in that area.  My metro is line 1 which ends at La Defense in the west and Chateau de Vincennes to the east.  Who would have thought there is actually a chateau at Chateau de Vincennes?  Not me apparently.  Well, the name is more than an illusion, there actually is a middle-aged chateau there.  And it used to have a moat!

I followed the metro out to Montreuil for my food fix.  It is a very working class/business kind of district.  It is not quite as high-end as La Defense, but not scary either.  My sketchy photographic memory actually remembered the path to the truck, and I successfully found it without a hitch.  This is quite rare, so I usually have an internal celebration at my unsurpassed success.

The options are fairly simple because all that really changes is the cheese.  Being a big goat cheese fan, I ordered Le Seguin.  In between the bun you will find a delicate burger, caramelized onions, red onion, goat cheese, tomato, lettuce, pickle, and a sauce.  Who can have a burger without fries?  Not me.  I sat on a small post just a few feet away to savor my wonderful burger that was in a box like a present.  Too bad I didn’t have someone with me to finish what I could not.

Feeling like the biggest pig in Paris with my burger stenched fingers, I felt the need for a walk.  I knew the chateau was southeast, so I followed that direction.  I ran right into it.  I was on a roll today.  You can enter the grounds for free, but the chateau and church cost.  I was feeling a bit stingy today, so I just took in the exterior.  Across the way I saw something that intrigued me.  There was greenery, and lots of it.

Just on the other end of the Chateau was a floral park.  I spent a couple hours wandering the paths, smelling the flowers, and running away from the bees.  If you have not met me, you probably don’t know that I dislike insects and spiders.  Dislike is probably not the right word.  I am a child when a buzz sound gets too close.  I know it is ridiculous, but c’est la vie.

I felt like I was returning to my roots of photography because it all began with flowers.  I have thousands of photos, yet I still enjoy capturing a flower just right.  I wasn’t planning on walking much or taking many photos, so I lightened my load by only bringing my point-and-shoot, and not my DSLR or my video camera.  There was a group of guys with big cojones cameras.  I was a bit sad I didn’t bring my heavy equipment, but I was pretty pleased with what I captured today.  Plus, I know I can compete with their images any day.  Not that I was sizing up or anything…

Favorite moments of the day?  Having a desire and meeting it.  Finding new spaces along the way.  Drinking a wonderful wine of the month from Nicolas.  Sharing my photos and experiences with others.  Life is good.

11 thoughts on “Hanging in the ‘Burbs of Paris

1. Micheline says:

I can just imagine how excited you must have been in the serendipity of that day’s experiences.
    Chateau de Vincennes, is a lovely spot. Nobody talks much about it. Glad you did.

2. Sunnyplace says:

Okay, this is too weird. I was craving a cheeseburger today, lol. Frog & Princess on rue de Princesse in the 6th has a great one. Let me know if you go there. I live closeby. 🙂

• Sunnyplace says:

It’s really close to my apartment, and you just had a burger yesterday, so let me know when you’re in the mood again. I can go anytime. In fact, I have to actively try not to go there too much. I’m planning to go to the Pompidou tomorrow to take advantage of the free admission if you wanna go…

• Liberated Traveler says:

Do you think the burger place would be open on Monday? I don’t have much planned on that day. Otherwise, maybe we could do next Saturday? I found out about an art fair in Montparnasse that I think I’m going to go to tomorrow. I’m also planning on hitting a couple museums on their free day, but I think I will save the Pompidou for my museum pass. Thank you for asking :). I look forward to learning about what I should see there from you.

• Sunnyplace says:

Oh no, pressure! 🙂
        The burger place opens at 1730 Monday, which is the better day for me, as my friend arrives Friday. She says she’s cool with hanging out as long as you’re not a serial killer. ::fingers crossed::
        😉
        LMK what time Monday

• Liberated Traveler says:

Do you want to meet at the burger place around 18:30? If you prefer another time, just let me know. You and your friend have fair expectations. I am also assuming you both aren’t serial killers. I’m so excited to sit on the lawn of the Eiffel Tower with goodies and watch the fireworks. This is a big bucket list item for me, but I don’t think I’d feel comfortable doing it alone. Perhaps we can talk more about it Monday? Enjoy your day :).

• Sunnyplace says:

18:30 is good! Menu planning for your bucket list item! Looking forward to meeting you. (I’d try to assure you I’m not a serial killer, but I’m pretty sure that’s what a serial killer would say, lol) Enjoy your day too! 🙂

3. Heyjude says:

Wonderful, you have introduced me to yet another park. I think I need a month in Paris to explore all these places you have found. Love the burger truck, I found a similar one on a trip to Geneva where I had the most excellent Panini.
    Jude xx