Life in the 7th

feetI have a temporary home in the 7th arrondissement tonight before heading to Brugge tomorrow.  We are staying on the 5th floor in the Hotel Kensington, and it doesn’t seem right what I paid for this view.  I’m sure a flat in this area would be near a million dollars, especially with the view we have.

My aunt has not spent much time in this area, so I took her on a little tour to Rue Cler.  After seeing new areas in Paris on this trip, I can understand why Rue Cler is Rick Steves’ favorite.  If you picture Paris charm coming from cheese shops, markets, locals shopping for their daily meal, and a view of the Eiffel Tower, then this is the neighborhood for you.

We stopped for lunch at one of the Boulangeries where I like to grab a sandwich.  A meal for about 4 Euros is a pretty sweet deal in Paris.  The bread is crusty and chewy.  I felt like a cave woman gnawing away at muscles from the animal my husband just brought home.  The French must have strong jaws.  I enjoy my eating workout as I watch everyone scoot along the pedestrian street with their ingredients for the day.

I’ve got a weird sensation behind my knee (and I’m praying I haven’t torn something), so we just walked along the Seine to sit in the Tuileries.  Even though I was just there yesterday, I enjoyed the visit today just as much.

I write lying in my bed that has a view over the tree tops of the avenue.  The reflection in the open window is what I envision when I close my eyes and think of Paris.  Double-decker tour buses pass below, and I feel I should wave from my balcony.  I am spoiled today.

12 Comments Add yours

1. Emily says:

You will LOVE Brugge. I miss both Paris and Brugge! I obviously need to go back to Europe stat!

1. You were right, Brugge was a special treat.

2. Sherrie says:

Last time in Paris, we stayed at Le Muguet, with sparkling Eiffel Tower view…gorgeous at night. Your photos bing back great memories. I remember on Rue Cler eating lunch at a conner bistro – the simply prepared potatoes that accompanied the chicken were the best I ever tasted.

1. I think sometimes simple foods in great locations really heighten the flavor. I remember eating a tomato in Italy and thinking it was one of the most flavorful things I’d ever eaten.

3. Heyjude says:

Lovely! The cheese shops are something else in Paris. Great photos as usual 🙂
    Jude xx

1. They sure exude a unique odor. If you didn’t know it was the cheese you might be suspecting something else.

4. genevieve says:

Gorgeous photos, the 7th is so beautiful! Super jealous 🙂

1. Thank you! You’ll visit soon.

5. toemailer says:

We would love to post the top picture and an excerpt of your text at toemail if you do not mind? http://toemail.wordpress.com

1. That would be wonderful!

1. toemailer says:

It’s posted now. Thanks so much, we really appreciate it! 🙂

6. toemailer says:

Thanks! We will let you know when it is posted. 🙂