Burano, Italy

Colorful BuranoBurano is one of the islands in the Venetian Lagoon.  Enjoy the scenic, and often refreshing 45 minute boat ride to the color palette village.  In the crushing heat of the summer, I know nothing better (other than gelato) that cools like a vaparetto ride.

Burano is a fishing village with brightly colored buildings to help the fisherman see the island in the fog.  Besides the mosaic of color, you can also meet the lace makers.  There are the touristy shops, but mixed in you can find the families that have been making lace for generations.

If the crowds of Venice are bringing you down, a side trip to one of the islands might be a necessary escape.  These smaller islands still have tourists, but not gobs of them clogging every canal.  If you really want to see Burano at its best, I recommend the early evening.  As the light becomes less harsh, the colors come to life under the shadows.  You can also expect to see less people the later you stay.  Just make sure you don’t miss the last vapareto back!

14 Comments Add yours

1. sccason1 says:

This is beautiful! Do you think there will be boats taking people there from Venice in December?

1. The boats go out there all year. Make sure you bundle up!

2. Amazing photos! Beautiful colours. Was in Venice in November but didn’t get to Murano – definitely a reason for a revisit I think.

3. alliblair says:

beautiful!! where are all the people??! love this post.

1. I was there in the evening, so most of the tourists had packed up to get back on their cruise ships. It is a quieter town compared to Venice.

1. alliblair says:

it looks like your photos are a painting.

4. Alex says:

Beautiful pictures. I love Venice. Have only been once and fell in love with everything Venetion. You’ve caught the essense of venetion life. Parts of Venice that probably not too many visitors see.

5. Alex says:

Reblogged this on vintagemouse.com and commented:
    Maybe the least seen of Venice, but an insight away from the crowds

6. wanderoneday says:

I’ve been wondering what to do while we’re in Venice next month besides getting lost and eating tons of gelato. This side trip looks like a brilliant idea 🙂

7. megtraveling says:

Burano is gorgeous and your pictures are beautiful!

8. Lakshmi Loves To Shop says:

Ah…I visited Burano when on my honeymoon ~ these beautiful pictures brought back the memories ~ Namaste 🙂

9. Heyjude says:

Wow! It looks like a child has gone mad with a watercolour set. A shame I didn’t have time to get out there on a day visit to Venice, but this gives me all the more reason to return.
    Jude xx

1. I try not to get too upset when I didn’t get to see something I wanted. I enjoy having an excuse to return. I hope you make it back someday.

10. BillyBoy says:

Reblogged this on Due ragazzi, due bassotti, e una gondola! and commented:
    Burano is the “lace making island” near Venice. (Murano is the glass blowing island…Murano Glass, anyone???)

Here is a great blog about Burano. While I didn’t visit it the last time I was in Venice, I will this time. Look at the colors!!